0300 333 0303

UnionLine can help with your holiday accident claim

August 27 2015

If you’re going on holiday this summer, it’s important you know what your rights are – so you can be sure that if you do suffer an accident or injury, you will know how to seek help once you return home.

Suffering an accident that isn’t your fault can ruin a holiday, but you may be able to claim compensation for your loss if your holiday meets certain criteria and is covered by UK law.

If you were on holiday and suffered an accident that wasn’t your fault, and you were in the UK, your claim will be treated the same as any other personal injury claim you may make, such as for accidents at work or road traffic accidents. But if you were abroad, you may only be able to claim in certain circumstances.

The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 defines what is considered a package holiday, and as long as your holiday matches the criteria you may be able to bring a claim for any accident or injury you had outside the UK.

Your holiday must have been sold or offered for sale in the UK, and should have included at least two of the components below:

  • Transport
  • Accommodation
  • Other tourist services making up a significant amount of the package

The parts of the holiday must also have been pre-arranged and either sold or offered for sale at an inclusive price. Your holiday should also cover a period of 24 hours or include overnight accommodation, in order to be covered by the regulations.

A package holiday can still be covered even if you selected the parts of the holiday yourself, and different invoices were submitted for each feature.

Head of Legal Practice at UnionLine, Matt Cordall, said: “The last thing anyone wants to consider when they go on holiday is that they could have an accident.

“With UnionLine’s travel accident service, GMB and CWU members can rest assured that we will support them in their claim for accidents or injuries on package holidays or breaks in the UK.

“Our personal injury team is committed to supporting those injured in non-fault accidents every step of the way.”

If you’ve had an accident on holiday call UnionLine on 0300 333 0303 to make your personal injury claim